Affordable Home Internet
Comcast Cable is the largest broadband provider in the US, serving approximately 25 million high speed Internet subscribers. Comcast provides coverage in wide range of cities spread across 39 states and the District of Columbia.
Comcast initiated their Internet Essentials program in 2011 to help millions of low income Americans bridge the rapidly increasing digital divide.
David L. Cohen, Comcast Corporation Senior Executive Vice President said, “Ralph and Brian have instilled within our culture the driving ethos of our community investment philosophy, which is when the communities we serve thrive, the Company thrives as well. Our resolve to close the digital divide is stronger than ever, and we invite everyone who shares that vision to work with us to create even more digital opportunity in the year ahead. Source: Bridging the Digital Divide briefing August 2016
If you live in an area served by Comcast Cable and qualify for their Internet Essentials program, you can get a 10 Mbps high speed Internet plan for the highly-discounted price of only $9.95 per month. This low price also includes equipment rental fees and a free WiFi router. This will enable Essentials customers to connect their Internet enabled WiFi devices such as smartphones and tablets and possibly save them money on their monthly wireless phone bills. The program is specifically designed to help low income folks enjoy the advantages of high speed Internet at a price that they can afford.
- NO CREDIT CHECK
- NO INSTALLATION FEE
- NO TERM CONTRACT
- FREE INSTALLATION
- FREE WIRELESS ROUTER
The program also offers subsidized Internet ready laptop or desktop computers to low income families for less than $150 and provides free Internet literacy and security training on their Internet Essentials website. (Spanish Version – Internet Basico)
In the past five years Internet Essentials, has helped over 3 million low income Americans enjoy the awesome power of the Internet in their own homes.
Internet Essentials Expanded Eligibility
When the program first launched in 2011, only families with children in the free lunch program at school qualified for the Comcast Internet discount. Recently the program was expanded to include everyone living in HUD assisted housing. This change means that many more low income individuals including Americans without children, seniors and military veterans may now qualify for the $9.95 Internet Essentials program. Comcast is also including low income community college students and low income seniors that do not live in government assisted housing in select markets.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for the Comcast Internet Essentials program that offers broadband Internet service for only $9.95 per month and the option to purchase a low-cost, Internet ready computer for less than $150 you must meet these basic eligibility requirements.
- A household must have at least one child eligible to receive a free or reduced price school lunch via the National School Lunch Program in public, private or parochial schools. Home schooled and Internet “Cyber-School” students may also qualify for Internet Essentials.
- Additionally, you may qualify for Internet Essentials if live in Government assisted housing (HUD) such as Public Housing, Section 8, Multi-Family etc.
Low Income Senior Discount
Comcast is offering a pilot Internet Essentials program for low-income seniors in the following cities, Boston MA, Palm Beach County FL, Philadelphia PA, San Francisco CA, and Seattle WA.
- Senior must be 62 years of age or older.
- Must live in a Comcast pilot market
- Must receive federal or state public assistance.
Community College Student Internet
A pilot program is also available to low-income students enrolled in community college in the states of Colorado and Illinois. Pell grant students are eligible for the program.
In addition to the above Internet Essentials criteria , there are a few restrictions:
- Obviously, Comcast Cable Internet must be available in your area, if not, many other Internet providers offer similar low income Internet service discounts click here for a complete listing.
- You can’t have been subscribed to Comcast Internet within the previous 90-day period.
- You cannot have an outstanding balance, or unreturned equipment belonging to Comcast. Note: Comcast is now offering amnesty for those who are otherwise eligible for Internet Essentials and have a past due balance, providing the debt is older than one year.
Streamlined (Quick Approval) Process
If more than 40 percent of the students in your child’s school participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), you can be instantly approved for the Internet Essentials Program without submitting any additional documentation.
For Public Housing applicants, you can receive instant approval if your home address is located within a public housing development.
Comcast Internet Essentials Video
Host Tonia Caruso talks with Bob Grove, Vice President of Public Relations, Comcast, about Internet Essentials and program updates. Comcast makes available low-cost Internet service and discounted computer equipment, and other offerings, to families with at least one child eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program. www.InternetEssentials.com
Internet Essentials Phone Numbers
- English: 855-846-8376
- Spanish: 855-765-6695
Comcast Internet Essentials Highlights
Through the end of June 2016, Comcast has:
- Helped over 750,000 American families to take advantage of the Comcast Internet Essentials program.
- Invested more than $300 million in to help fund digital literacy education.
- Created Internet Essentials Learning Zones and dedicated more than $1.8 million in grants.
- Provided over 54,000 subsidized $150 computers to low income program participants.
- Distributed nearly 53 million Internet Essentials program materials.
- Welcomed more than 6.4 million visitors to the Internet Essentials websites.
- Offered Internet Essentials to nearly 55,000 schools in more than 5,000 school districts.
- Partnered with over 9,000 community-based organizations, government agencies, and elected officials to spread the word about Internet Essentials from Comcast.
Comcast Cable Internet Availability
Comcast offers high speed Internet service in portions of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia (DC).
For more information on the Comcast Internet Essentials program, and to find out if you qualify or apply for the program, visit their website: https://www.internetessentials.com/ or call toll free 1-855-846-8376.
Recent Low Income Posts:
- Spectrum Internet Assist Low Income Broadband
- Cox Low Income Internet Discount
- Free or Low Cost Internet for Low Income Families
- Comcast Internet Essentials for Low Income Families
- Portland Joins Google’s Digital Inclusion Fellowship Program