Want to speed up your dial up connection?
If you’re using a dial up connection to access the Internet, following these 7 simple tips will ensure that web content is delivered as fast as possible to your Internet browser.
- Make sure you are using a 56k modem – Use the Windows Device Manager to check the dial up modem’s properties. Go to the modem manufacturer’s website and verify you’re using the current firmware for your model.
- Use Internet accelerator software – Most dial up ISPs provide an accelerated or high-speed dial up service. Check with your dial up provider to see if this option is available to you.
- Scan for malware – Spyware and adware are definite computer speed killers. Free programs to scan and remove malware can be downloaded from the Internet. Make sure to use a reputable one such as Malwarebytes.
- Turn of unnecessary add-ins – Add-ins such as toolbars, instant messaging programs, weather updates, etc. will slow your dial up connection down. Disable all programs that you don’t absolutely need or prevent them from starting up automatically.
- Try a new browser – Newer browsers are quicker and more efficient, and addins such as AdBlock Plus for Mozila Firefox can automatically block unwanted advertisements from loading, thus speeding up your Internet connection.
- Use a pop up blocker – Unnecessary pop ups waste precious bandwidth. Most newer browsers include built in pop up blockers, or offer free addins that manage unwanted pop-ups and advertisements.
- Let updates run before you browse – Make your Internet connection before you’re ready to start browsing. This will give auto-updating programs such as Windows update and anti-virus programs time to download necessary updates and make your browsing experience faster.